[KS] Overseas Koreans in W Europe?

Sohn Hyun-U sohn at berlin.snafu.de
Thu Jul 2 17:02:36 EDT 1998

Dear all,

Having followed the list for quite a while, I thought I'd finally try my
luck and dare ask for some information or ideas myself. I have split them
into three separate msg's. Here is the first one:

1) Is there any useful literature either on or by Korean or other NE Asian
second generation immigrants from a W European country? (dissertations,
maybe, or journalistic works or autobiographies or anything else you might
know of -- I'd be most grateful for it).

2) Does anybody know whether there exist student (level) organizations of
any kind of such 2-se people in W Europe? I have heard of a "Korean science
students association" or so in France, but I believe members are primarily
Yuhaksaeng who were not actually born there. I also know that in some
countries Korean adoptees have built something, but in any case I would be
happy to receive more information. Maybe you know people in those
organizations whom I could contact directly for more details?

3) I am working on a project for which I now need to find and contact 2nd
generation Koreans (or Chinese or Japanese) who have been born and grown up
in Germany at least until age 19/20 (ie Abitur age). I would like to ask
them for interviews. If you know people who fit the criteria and might be
interested, please ask them to contact me by email or maybe you can tell me
how to contact them. By the way, they should now be at least 20, the older
(and wiser?) the better, and 1.5-se would be fine too if they came to
Germany before entering elementary school.

Thank you!

Sohn Hyun-U ( sohn at berlin.snafu.de )