[KS] Re: How should I spell yukkwan in Mc-Reishauer transcript?

Gary Rector redarrow at uriel.net
Wed Jul 8 21:31:45 EDT 1998

Romanize all the proper names in _The Dream of Nine Clouds_ in Pinyin? I
wonder what happens to _Hamlet_ or _The Two Gentlemen of Verona_ when they
are translated into, say, Russian. Does the translator cyrillicize such
names as Polonius or Proteus a la Danoise or a l'Italienne? Or does he
simply follow the English pronunciation, since these characters are the
products of the imagination of an English author? Or does he use the
common Russian pronunciation of such Latin names?

Why not use the traditional English spelling of place names that already
have a traditional spelling in English, e.g. Peking, and romanize names
invented by Kim Man-jong according to the Korean pronunciation? (I'd opt
for _Peking_ rather than _Beijing_.)

Gary Rector