[KS] Daewoo

Sohn Hyun-U sohn at berlin.snafu.de
Thu Jul 2 17:44:12 EDT 1998

Dear all,

I would like to ask for information on the Daewoo business group.

1) There is a 1995 120 page in-depth study of the Daewoo group in French.
Does somebody by any chance have an idea where I could find this rather
elusive work? Librarians at the Staatsbibliothek Berlin are having terrible
headaches locating it but I need it desperately. The Bibliographie nationale
francaise gave this citation:

Le groupe Daewoo / Direction des relations économiques extérieures ; Poste
d'expansion économique de Séoul ; [réd. par Claude Genetay ; sous la
direction de Francois Cotier]. - Paris: Ed. du CFCE, 1995. - 121 p. (etc.)
ISBN 2-279-47207-4

2) I am sure there are similar Korean language works on the Daewoo group. I
would be most grateful for any citations in this direction because it will
be some time before I can visit Korea again and sniff around myself.

3) The literature I currently have is mostly very positive on Daewoo and its
chairman, Kim Woo-Choong. I would be happy therefore to receive hints in
which direction I should look to find some less wholesome aspects to their
strategy, their work, or whatever. Please do not send general criticisms on
chaebol as a genre but detailed accusations of specific Daewoo (or Kim
Woo-Choong's)-misdeeds (or sources where I can find them). I would be
interested, for example, in their relations with labor unions.

4) In addition to point 3), I would also be happy to receive any citations
to works on Daewoo or Kim Woo-Choong in either German, English, French,
Italian, or Japanese. If there is an important work in any other language,
please -- if you can -- tell me what you consider to be the particular merit
of that study.

Thank you.

Sohn Hyun-U ( sohn at berlin.snafu.de )