[KS] Re: Globalization and Cultural Identity; Globalization and everyday life in Seoul

Hyung Il Pai hyungpai at humanitas.ucsb.edu
Mon Dec 6 13:30:11 EST 1999

Dear Jamie,
Though I agree with you that the topic is very interesting and worthwhile
pursuit, I also agree with Prof. Robinson that you might not be getting a
good sample by interviewing Ewha university students who represent the
upper economic and educated stratum of Korean women in Korea,
In addition, conducting on-line interviews in itself will only get the
more "globally" inclined since they already have internet connections
meaning they are wired with the rest of the world. And so there are major
flaws to this kind of data gathering technique.
My comments are not to discourage but just to make you aware of the
sampling biases inherent in your project.

I look forward to your reply.
Yours sincerely,
Hyung Il Pai,
 East Asian Languages and Cultural Studies,
 HSSB Building, University of California,
Santa Barbara, CA 93106, U.S.A.
Tel: (805) 893-2245  Fax:  (805) 893-3011
EMail:  hyungpai at humanitas.ucsb.edu