[KS] Response to Jacqueline Pak

goodwin goodwin at nas.net
Tue Feb 2 18:08:25 EST 1999

Hi Jacqueline;

Thank you for your comments and for keeping me on my toes. After reading your
response to my query I realized that when I quoted Duus' book --as a way of
framing my query-- I should have clarified that, in doing so, I was not
adopting his view; i.e. the idea that there is, "a lack of scholarship in Korea
about collaboration."

Frankly, I don't have the knowledge to know if Duus is correct (or not) in
saying such a thing, but you obviously raise a good point: Duus' understanding
of this subject area may well be limited if he doesn't read Korean.  I guess I
unwisely assumed that a work so widely praised (and at such high levels)
mightn't, in fact, be authoritative in its field.  Please forgive me!  By the
way, do you know anything about how Duus' English language book was received in
Korea?  If you are right, then Duus' comment (the one I quoted) is quite an
oversight.

I'd like to say something else too! Through my own incautious use of Duus'
work, I've unintentionally raised an altogether different (but related) issue
sensitive Koreanists may feel strongly about, but which I wasn't directly
interested in: i.e., the issue of whether Korean scholars have wrestled with
the issue of collaboration.  So I'll start all over again.  Is there anyone on
the list who may know some titles of books or articles (in English) that
discuss the issue of the alleged collaboration of Koreans with the Japanese
colonial government between 1895-1945?

Oh yes, one last question. You (Jacqueline) wrote, "one could say that
collaboration too was a form of victimization which Koreans suffered in various
guises."  Really?  Can I ask you what defintion of collaboration you use?  Do
you mean that some sort of social or other structural circumstance in play at
that time, and in that place, transformed an otherwise voluntary act (i.e
"collaboration" as commonly understood) into an involuntary one?  How does that
work?  It seems to me that to call "collaboration" a form of "victimization"
drains most of the commonly recognized meaning out of the term.  Comments from
others would be welcome on this issue.

Cheers,

Mike Goodwin
goodwin at nas.net