[KS] Re: "Ch'ong-do" on banners of a Korean embassy to Japan

Jay Lewis jay.lewis at oriental-institute.oxford.ac.uk
Sat Feb 13 04:35:37 EST 1999

I haven't paid proper attention to these symbols, so I can't speak with
the authority of having tested the following hypothesis, but I think the
two characters mean "clear the way".  The Embassy was taking to the
Shougun a letter, which bore the seal of the Korean king.  From other
paintings, I seem to recall that when the king or his symbols went abroad
in ChosOn, similar banners preceded the entourage.

Yours,
Jay Lewis