[KS] Re: Korean Poetry/Culture

Walter K. Lew Lew at HUMnet.UCLA.EDU
Mon Jan 25 15:16:17 EST 1999

For an article on Ko ChOng-hUi, the late feminist Korean poet who
frequently wrote politically engaged poems in a shamanistic mode (her 1983
collection, for instance, was titled _Ch'ohonje_ [Ritual to Summon the
Spirits of the Dead]), see Prof. Ann S. Lee's "The Kwangju Uprising and
Poetry by Ko Chong-hui, a Writer of South Cholla," _Bulletin of Concerned
Asian Scholars_ 29/4 (Oct-Dec 1997): 23-32. The article includes references
to a wide range of primary and secondary materials and two sidebars on the
Kwangju Uprising and the interextual relation of Ko's poem "Konghuin" to
certain ancient Korean poems. Kim Seung-hee, who recently completed a year
of teaching at the Univ. of California, Irvine, is another feminist poet
who has some of her poems translated into English; her poetic approach is
deeply influenced by shamanism, but she refrains from placing her work in
an explicitly ritualistic framework.  There's a chance that she is still
receiving e-mail at the following addresses: <kimsh at uci.edu> or
<sunny3k at aol.com>, although she is in the process of returning to Seoul to
write and teach.

Walter K. Lew