[KS] Four Questions on Korea

Maite Diez maite18 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 28 21:56:50 EST 1999

Dear List Members:
I hope you can help me find the answers to the following questions:

1. Where might I find the definitive story (legend) of the first woman
(Oong Nyo) of Korea?  I would also like to see the character that
represents her--I believe it's a modification of the character for
possibility?

2. What do Korean families traditionally hang over the door when a
girl is born in the house? (I believe a string of chili peppers is
customary for boys?)

3. What is the preferred method for delivering babies in ROK?  Do they
use midwives much?

4. Does anyone know of a Korean saying relating to ancestors or lines
of ancestry? (Or do you know of a collection of Korean sayings?)

Unfortunately I require answers in English.
Thank you for your answers in advance.  Before I sign off, I must tell
you how much richer my understanding of the discipline of Korean
Studies and my knowledge concerning Korea is for this list.  Thank you
all for your constant efforts and devotion.  Every day I look forward
to reading your thoughts on my screen.
Sincerely,
Maite Diez
Independent Scholar and Writer