[KS] Re: Query Re: =?euc-kr?Q?ch=27ilg=BF?= chi ak

Mark Peterson Mark_Peterson at byu.edu
Tue Mar 23 20:10:04 EST 1999

Dear Mia,

	I talk about that for several pages in the first part of chapter four
in my book, <underline>Korean Adoption and Inheritance</underline>,
Cornell East Asia Series #80, 1996.  I cite examples from the Shillok
and elsewhere where divorces actually took place because of one or the
ak</italic>).  Also the famous lawyer and women's rights advocate who
passed away a few months ago, Yi T'ae-y¿ng wrote Han'guk ihon chedo
y¿n'gu (Research on divorce in Korea), Y¿s¿ng munje y¿n'guw¿n, 1957, in
which several cases of divorce on the basis of <italic>ch'ilg¿ chi
ak</italic> are discussed.

	You may also want to look at the "<italic>sambug¿</italic>"; the three
factors insuring against the seven bases for divorce -- i.e. completing
the mourning ceremonies for the in-laws, marrying in poverty but
attaining wealth after (antithesis of the Hollywood divorces), and
bearing a son.

best regards,

Mark

ps. I hope the ¿ comes across as the marked o.

<excerpt>Dear List,

In Confucian Choson, there were seven grounds upon which a man could
divorce his wife.  They were called chil-guh-ji-ak in Korean.  The
failure of a woman to produce a male heir and jealousy are two of
them.  What are the rest?   Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Mia Yun

Author of HOUSE OF THE WINDS

<<http://www.pipeline.com/~miayun>http://www.pipeline.com/~miayun