[KS] Re: Cats next?!

Jason Parker parker.294 at osu.edu
Wed Jul 26 15:09:11 EDT 2000

--=====================_80135941==_.ALT

here's a bit on cat juice from an animal rights web page on cat and dog
myths in Korea

"Drinking goyangi soju, a tonic made from liquified cats, cures a variety
of ailments including rheumatism and neuralgia.
Cats are not usually eaten, but are instead boiled down in large pressure
cookers along with herbs to create a thick tonic. Patients are encouraged
to drink this tonic over several weeks to receive optimum benefits. Cats
are also sold to those who prefer to brew the elixir themselves at home.
Many myths are passed down through family and community, and these
word-of-mouth truths prove far more influential than any amount of
scientific evidence."

At 07:14 PM 7/25/00 +0000, you wrote:
>Dear List,
>
>The UK Channel 5 had an interesting feature on Korean eating habits this
>evening. Apart from dog-meat, so-called 'Cat juice' was central in the
>feature. This was new to me. What I understood is that 'cat-juice is some
>sort of cat soup. Apparently it is essential the cats are boiled when
>still alive. I reckon this has similar reasons as the beating of dogs (to
>release adrenelin etc.. to tenderise the meat).
>Luckily the English reporter manged to save one little kitten from the
>Pressure pan, so not to traumatise the pet-loving English public too much.
>
>Anyway I can't wait to try it all on my next visit to Korea. can anyone
>recommend a nice restaurant?
>
>I was wondering, though, if the consumption of cats has the same reason
>as why many Asians are still fascinated with Tiger meat, bones etc..
>
>greetings
>
>Onno Veer
>London
>osveer at hotmail.com

--=====================_80135941==_.ALT

rights web page on cat and dog myths in Korea<br>
"Drinking goyangi soju, a tonic made from liquified cats, cures a
variety of ailments including rheumatism and neuralgia.<br>
Cats are not usually eaten, but are instead boiled down in large pressure
cookers along with herbs to create a thick tonic. Patients are encouraged
to drink this tonic over several weeks to receive optimum benefits. Cats
are also sold to those who prefer to brew the elixir themselves at home.
Many myths are passed down through family and community, and these
word-of-mouth truths prove far more influential than any amount of
scientific evidence."<br>
The UK Channel 5 had an interesting feature on Korean eating habits this
evening. Apart from dog-meat, so-called 'Cat juice' was central in the
feature. This was new to me. What I understood is that 'cat-juice is some
sort of cat soup. Apparently it is essential the cats are boiled when
still alive. I reckon this has similar reasons as the beating of dogs (to
release adrenelin etc.. to tenderise the meat).<br>
Luckily the English reporter manged to save one little kitten from the
Pressure pan, so not to traumatise the pet-loving English public too
much.<br>
Anyway I can't wait to try it all on my next visit to Korea. can anyone
recommend a nice restaurant?<br>
I was wondering, though, if the consumption of cats has the same
reason<br>
as why many Asians are still fascinated with Tiger meat, bones
etc..<br>
greetings<br>
Onno Veer<br>
London<br>