[KS] Re: the "white males" question

michael Robinson mrobinso at indiana.edu
Sun Oct 22 17:49:14 EDT 2000

REPLY sends your message to the whole list

Dear Yuh Ji:

Thank you for an even more detailed re-hash of "whiteness" and its
soci-political meanings.  My point remains that if this is the level of
critique applied to every use of a category, then we will all remain
wallowing in introductory sessions on language and the difference between
the biological fact of whiteness and its social/political/historical
construction that could be used in different contexts.  the medium itself is
useless (this list) if everyone is to be explaining every use.  And now who
are the policemen?  My point was simply that the original charge nullified
the personal sincerity of its writer and was as offensive as any possible
slight given in useage of language.  The fact that the majority of the list
didn't react can mean they understood the general meaning delivered.  Most
of the people on this list have devoted a great deal of their lives to
understanding difference and teaching about difference.  the search is for
ways to nullify the universalizing or totalizing tendencies embedded in all
culture.  Because Western culture for whatever historical reasons ended up
shoving its universal vision down the throats of the world doesn't mean
other cultures don't have their universalizing or totalizing potentials
either.  The way toward the true cultural interchange must follow the
broader ideas that are certainly embedded in Eastern as well as Western
culture...respect or all, open mindedness, tolerance, a spirit of
cooperation, etc.  That is what will generate understanding and better ideas
on the list, not jumping on each other about language difference.  seeking a
way toward multiculturalism our colleague Uchang Kim quotes  Hans-Georg
Gadamer from Truth and Method (1982)..."To seek one's own in the alien, to
become at home in it, is the basic movement of spiriti, whose being is only
return to itself from what is other."  see his wonderful article in Poetica
52 (1999) "Asian Suibjectivity and Multiculturalism."