[KS] perspectives on Korean history

Yong-ho Choe choeyh at hawaii.edu
Wed Dec 12 14:41:31 EST 2001

I wholeheartedly agree with Mark's point as we had a small discussion on
this point once before.  That Korea had historically enjoyed relative
peace, free from foreign invasions, speaks very much of the nature of the
regimes that had ruled China.  Ever since Tang's participation in Silla's
unification wars in the 7th century, the ethnic Chinese dynasties had never
invaded Korea (although Ming sent troops at the request of Korea in the
Imjin war of 1592-98) until the Korean war in 1950-53 (when PRC sent troops
at the request of DPRK).  It is truly remarkable that these two peoples had
maintained peace through mutual respect for such a long period of
time--certainly unprecedented in the annals of human history.  A question
one can raise is: what had enabled the two countries enjoy such
peace?  Here, I would like to inject an idea that the policy of "sadae"
(respect for the senior state) pursued historically by Korea to China had
played an important role.

As M. Frederick Nelson's classic study ("Korea and the Old Orders in
Eastern Asia") explains, "sadae" is based on a Confucian concept of
hierarchical universe centering around China, in which Korea accepted a
junior status vis-a-vis China and the degree of civilization of a country
was measured largely in terms of Confucianization.  In addition to this
notion, I believe that configuaration of power between Korea and China was
an important factor.  Ever since the demise of Koguryo, Korea has never
been in a position to challenge China in terms of power.  Since the
China-centered world order in East Asia had rejected any notion of
diplomatic equality or parity with China, Korea simply had no choice but to
accept China as a senior state.  This was the only way for Korea to have
kept friendly ties with China.  Moreover, in the eyes of the Chinese, the
Korean Peninsula has always been and still is vital to China's national
security.  Geo-politically, China can never afford to allow Korea to fall
into a hostile hand.  This explains the Chinese intervention in the Imjin
and the Korean wars.  As long as Korea had maintained "sadae" policy, there
was no reason for China to make a military move against Korea.  And then,
from the Korean perspective, a strong China provided a protective shield
for Korea's security.  Historically, external threat to Korea had come
almost always from the northern tribes, such as Mongols and Manchus (though
also occasionally from Japan).  As long as China remained strong as under
Tang and Ming, these tribal groups in the fringes of Chinese borders were
kept in check, eliminating potential threat to Korea.  But when China
became weak as under Sung and late Ming, we see invasions against Korea
taking place by Khitans, Jurchens, Mongols, and Manchus.  Thus, it had
always been desirable for Korea to have a strong China because only the
powerful China had been able to keep these northern tribes under
control.  In other words, both Korea and China had historically shared a
common security interest.  By maintaining "sadae" (this word has now become
a dirty word in both Koreas), Korea gained peace and, ironically, its
independence as well (meaning, not being swallowed up by China).  Besides,
this policy had allowed Korea virtually unlimited access to the high
civilization and culture of China.

While on this issue of peace in Korea, we can safely say that if there has
ever been a pacifist state in the world history, it is Korea under the
Choson dynasty.  After Korea launched attacks against the Tsushima islands
in the 15th century under King Sejong (to eradicate "waegu"), the Choson
dynasty made no serious military operation against its neighbors (although
King Hyojong in the 17th century tried to raise army without success to
attack Manchu Qing in the hope of restoring Ming in China).  The
scholar-officials of the Choson dynasty truly believed in and practiced as
best as they can the idea that the best way to deal with the neighboring
countries was to demonstrate exemplary virtues, not to resort to
violence.  Argument Cho Kwang-jo presented in 1518 in successfully halting
a military operation that was about to be launched against a northern tribe
is a case in point.  He argued that a surprise military move against the
tribal group is dishonorable and violates the proper ethics of the
sovereign.  Because of his opposition, this carefully prepared operation
was aborted at the last minutes.  Such a thinking had permeated deeply into
the minds of most scholar-officials of Choson.  In my view, the Choson
dynasty very much followed this idea in its dealing with neighboring
countries throughout its rule.  Civil supremacy was absolute during the
most periods of Choson rule, and we can say that Korea under Choson is a
rare example in the world history that had practiced "pacifism" in dealing
with its neighboring countries.

Yong-ho Choe
Department of History
University of Hawaii at Manoa