[KS] 15th Yonsei Korean Studies Forum

김혁래 hyukrae at yonsei.ac.kr
Sat Oct 26 02:53:15 EDT 2002

YONSEI KOREAN STUDIES FORUM!

The Yonsei University Graduate School of International Studies (GSIS) Korean Studies Department gladly invites you to the 15th Yonsei Korean Studies Forum, which will be held on Thursday, October 31 (Halloween Day), 2002, 4:00PM and at Yonsei Graduate School of International Studies Millennium Hall Room 111.

The topic for this forum is "The Ajumma and Their Social Understanding: What They Say". The speaker is Bernard Rowan (Ph.D. University of Chicago, Political Science) and he is currently Associate Professor of Political Science at Chicago State University where he has taught since 1993. For the abstract, please go to the bottom of this message.

The presentation and the forum will be followed by dinner, courtesy of Yonsei University, at a restaurant (TBD) just outside the gates of Yonsei University. We hope you can join us to enjoy the presentation, the discussion, and the dinner. Thank you for your time, consideration, and we hope you will join us. See you
at the Yonsei Korean Studies Forum!

Who: Guest Speaker - Professor Bernard Rowan
What: Yonsei Korean Studies Forum
When: Thursday, 31 October 2002, 4:00PM
Where: Yonsei University Graduate School of
International Studies, Millennium Hall, Room 111.
Please see map of our website:
http://gsis.yonsei.ac.kr/home.htm (then click virtual
open house on the bottom right corner)

Warmest Regards,

Hyuk-Rae Kim

ABSTRACT:

The disciplines of social science, Korean studies and women’s studies consider the women of different countries as social agents. We examine the intersection of their agency with variables of class, other demographics of status, nationalism, or similar concepts. My study on ajumma is no exception.

In particular, I want to develop an argument that the ajumma are a basis to chart part of the future for Korean social democracy. They are not the only basis, but they surely are one of the most important. In what follows, I discuss what I take to be the implications of Korean ajumma for democratization in Korea, both in terms of democratic thinking and public policy suggestions.

Most of all, since I do not know the ajumma as a Korean would know them, I have sought to understand what the ajumma think of themselves, of Korean society, and of the future for Korea. And I think they have a lot to say. I have only begun to learn, but I want to share with you what I have found thus far.

Hyuk-Rae Kim, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Chairperson, Korean Studies Program
Graduate School of International Studies
Yonsei University
Seoul, 120-749 KOREA
Tel: +822-2123-4705
Fax: +822-392-3321