[KS] Does "the Orient" still exist?

Keith Howard kh at soas.ac.uk
Thu May 8 10:25:16 EDT 2003

Speaking from my desk in SOAS -- the School of Oriental and African
Studies -- I have some sympathy for the thread of discussion, but
doubt that suitable alternatives can be found. SOAS has been here
before (my memory of what follows, though, may not be completely
accurate). In the early 1990s we had lots of discussions about a name
change, because of the connotations of 'Oriental' and its associated
terms. Should we become 'School of Asian and African Studies' (no,
because the acronym looked bad in English, besides which we would
then limit ourselves to an area called 'Asia' that may or may not
include so many places we consider integral to us, such as the Middle
East and Siberia). Then again, we teach about diasporas, and
certainly include the Caribbean, and we considered joining other area
studies operations in London, including the 'School of Slavonic and
East European Studies' (I might have the name slightly wrong), to
become 'SAS' ('School of Area Studies', or, hopefully capturing the
whole field, 'School of All Studies'). Again, though, the acronym
quickly led to us abandoning that proposal. 'SOS', which would have
kept the Oriental within its 19th century conceptual frame, didn't
get a look in for obvious reasons.

Our solution, for what it is worth, was to remain 'SOAS'. Rarely,
though, do you see us write the name out, so 'Oriental' need not be
mentioned in discussions. The SOAS logo, a green tree of dubious
provenance in an exact colour shade, plus 'SOAS' in gold writing
underneath, now forms our trademark, without any expansion to explain
that this stands for 'School of Oriental and African Studies'. On
balance, we agreed that we're stuck with the name. I know this is a
cop out, but perhaps it no longer matters; in other words, I'm not
sure that terms like "Oriental", "the Orient" and "orientals" are as
controversial as Tobias presumes. Certainly, when Edward Said gave a
lecture here at SOAS back in February, he made no reference to our
unfortunate name.

--
Dr Keith Howard
Senior Lecturer in Music, SOAS,