[KS] Genealogy in South Korea

Eugene Y. Park parkey at benfranklin.hnet.uci.edu
Thu Sep 18 11:15:12 EDT 2003

Dear List:

I'm looking for studies (articles, books, etc.) on genealogy in South
Korean society.  It'd be great if the work looks at the phenomena such
as: periodic compilation of genealogies (chokpo) by various
chongch'inhoe-type organizations; the widespread practice of such groups
allowing chokpo-less families to "succeed" extinct lines, generally with
appropriate donations; and the genealogy "discourse" itself among young
and old alike.

I've done a quick search on the Han'guksa yon'gu hwibo database and
failed to notice any study like this, but I suspect that I may be
overlooking works produced by sociologists and anthropologists.

Thanks,
Gene

Eugene Y. Park
Assistant Professor of Korean History