[KS] Excellent newish website on North Korea

Afostercarter at aol.com Afostercarter at aol.com
Mon Apr 19 07:04:19 EDT 2004

Dear List colleagues,                               19 April, 2004

I just came across - belatedly; it's been up since February - a newish
website on North Korea, which looks very useful. This is NKZone, run by Rebecca
Mackinnon, formerly of CNN. It's at: http://nkzone.typepad.com/

This admirably complements existing English-language resources for following
events and issues regarding the DPRK - such as PyongyangSquare, Nautilus, and
CanKor - which I imagine are known already to most List members who follow
North Korea.

Besides sending you (if you sign up) daily updates and alerts - today they
had photos of Kim Jong-il's limo in Beijing, already - NKZone has a wealth of
links to other sites; some of which, again, were new to me (perhaps I'm the last
to know). These include:

"   An occasional diary of expatriate life in Pyongyang, by a German-Dutch
couple:
http://www.phphosting.nl/zofona/nkverhaal_en.php

"   Video feeds of DPRK television news, from a Japanese site, www.elufa.net

"   A long list - albeit far from complete: their name is legion - of new and
recent books on North Korea, with links to Amazon;

"   Assorted "bloggers": all opinionated, some interesting. NKZone classes
itself too as a blog, and so encourages feedback and debate, commendably.

Among much else on this splendid site, could I also draw attention to an
interview with Hazel Smith. On the basis of extensive field visits over the past
decade, Professor Smith propounds an original and (in my view) cogent account
of the radical social changes affecting daily life in the DPRK since the
mid-1990s famine, and their impications. See:
http://nkzone.typepad.com/nkzone/2004/02/hazel_smith_a_v.html

Amid endless chasing our tails over the nuclear issue, I think we tend to
ignore this vital level of grassroots analysis. More sociology, less IR! But of
course I'm biased.

Best wishes to one and all,

Aidan FC

AIDAN FOSTER-CARTER
 Honorary Senior Research Fellow in Sociology & Modern Korea, Leeds
University
17 Birklands Road, Shipley, West Yorkshire, BD18 3BY, UK
tel:    +44(0)  1274  588586             mobile:  +44(0)  7970  741307
 fax:   +44(0)  1274  773663             ISDN:   +44(0)   1274 589280
Email: afostercarter at aol.com               website:  www.aidanfc.net