[KS] Korean Romanisation

James H Grayson J.H.Grayson at sheffield.ac.uk
Tue Dec 7 12:17:59 EST 2004

7.12.04

Dear Friends,
The issue of the Romanisation of Korean has always been a vexed question.
I am firmly against the use of the New Government Romanisation system for
scholarly use and would hope that the scholarly community as a whole will
resist it. The often made comparison with pinyin and Wade-Giles with the
so-called M-R system and the New Government Romanisation system is
misplaced and incorrect. I have written an unpublished article on the two
systems which I attach to this email for anyone who is interested. I know
from personal conversation that there are highly placed civil servants in
Korea who are also displeased with the new system and with the way in
which it was implemented.

With best wishes,
James H. Grayson

Attachments: