[KS] Korean Studies in Oxford

Youngsook Pak yp at soas.ac.uk
Tue Apr 12 10:06:19 EDT 2005

In almost every university in Great Britain, Korean Studies is treated in
this manner. It takes years to build up a programme which can draw a
considerable number of students, especially high-fee paying overseas
students, but British universities generally take the view that Korean
Studies is not viable unless the Korean government provides funding
continuously. Why does the Korean government not think in the first place
to make a detailed plan and ensure mutual agreement that after a certain
period of funding the said university has the obligation to take over and
fund the programme? This would be much better than endlessly pouring money
to an institution which can simply call an end to the programme at any
time. Oxford has received KF funding for a considerable number of years.
Another example is that of the V & A, where a Korean Gallery was
established in the early 1990s, but in the meantime the post of Korean
curator has been eliminated, so now there is no curator to ensure that the
display is kept up to date and attractive to visitors.

Youngsook Pak
School of Oriental and African Studies
University of London