[KS] "Hermit Kingdom:

William Pore willpore at gwu.edu
Tue Aug 2 16:38:09 EDT 2005

Dear Kirk and List:

Since there has been little response to this question about "hermit
kingdom," I will add what I know. There may be other Korean works in
which something like that sobriquest for Korea was used relating to its
remoteness or image, but I know that the "Tongmongsonsup" (early 16th
century) ends with the line "Although Choson is in a secluded nook of
the sea...." In other works, learned Koreans would have been aware of
and applied this self-imposed hermit-like description of their country
for about 400 years before Griffis in the late 19th century. I'm pretty
sure James Scarth Gale also used "hermit kingdom" in his "History of
the Korean People" (1927).

Will Pore