[KS] Languages in Korea

Terry Petty tmpetty at msp-drilex.com
Wed May 25 14:04:25 EDT 2005

This is an interesting question, I am happy to know more about.

Do the dialects in North and South Korea differ much?

I am fascinated that even the Koreans that were born and raised in China
tell me that they speak just like Koreans do. Is that right?

As far as Chinese dialects, there are still many dialects throughout China.
Even in the North, where Putonghua is pretty basic and standard, there are
still very common standards that everyone uses. In the South, there are
many, many dialects that fall into the main groups. Shanghainese of course,
still exists, but the accent on either side of the river is quite different.

Over a 20 plus year period, I have noticed that the written forms of
Shanghainese and Cantonese are slowly being subsumed by the standard
putonghua written expressions. I can now even read a HK newspaper, whereas
it used to be very difficult.

Terry Petty