[KS] Languages in Korea

Stefan Ewing sa_ewing at hotmail.com
Fri May 27 21:54:35 EDT 2005

Rupert Atkinson wrote:

"Definitions? To me, languages have separate grammar and vocab whereas
dialects have similar grammar and similar vocab, with some differences,
especially in pronunciation (English / Scottish). But thinking about it,
that would make Japanese and Korean dialects, would it not? Surely the
question of why Japanese and Korean grammars are so similar is important."

I don't want to belabour what some might call an obvious point, but the
similarities between Korean and Japanese grammar are on those words that are
formed from Hanja/Kanji (i.e., Chinese or Han characters).  There is a vast
difference between the native Korean and Japanese vocabularies--i.e., those
whose words make up the bulk of everyday conversation.

The relationship between native Korean and Sino-Korean (Hanja) words is
highly analogous to that between Germanic and Greco-Latin words in English.
Most of the function words, concrete nouns, basic verbs, etc. that we use
with such frequency come from English's Germanic roots, by way of Old
English or in some cases Old Norse, and likewise with function words, etc.
in Korean, most of which are native Korean in origin.  Most of the abstract
or otherwise high-falutin' words we use in English come of course from Greek
or Latin (often by way of French) or are formed from Greek or Latin word
elements, and likewise with many of the nouns and verbs in Korean, which are
formed from hanja.

It is true, however, that the grammars of Korean and Japanese are remarkably
(almost uncannily) similar.  Is this just an accidental consequence of their
both being agglutinative, SOV (subject-object-verb) languages, or does it
bespeak of some deeper long-distant connection between the two languages'
ancestor(s)?  (I have no idea, as it's far beyond my area of knowledge.)

Stefan Ewing

to offer.
first two months FREE*.