[KS] Call for papers: 15th Annual Graduate Student Conference on East Asia

Cheehyung Kim ck2048 at columbia.edu
Fri Oct 14 14:10:00 EDT 2005

Dear List Members,
This is call for papers for Columbia's Graduate Conference on East
Asia. It is the biggest of its kind in the US. This year we're
trying to get a large number of students studying Korea. The Korea
field is certainly ready for it. Thanks.

Cheehyung Kim
Organizer

Fifteenth Annual Graduate Student Conference on East Asia

Friday, February 10 to Saturday, February 11, 2006 Columbia
University in the City of New York

The Graduate Student Conference on East Asia provides a forum for
graduate students from various institutions and diverse disciplines
to share ideas and to discuss work in progress with their peers. The
conference affords a glimpse of the future of research in East Asian
Studies.

We welcome applications from graduate students engaged in research
on East Asian history, political science, literature, art history,
and religion.

Participants:

Participants will have two ways to take part in the conference:

Presenters deliver 15 minute (maximum) talks which summarize
research in progress. Presenters are strongly encouraged to form
their own 3-person panels. Panels should be linked thematically,
but panelists should feel free to cross disciplinary, spatial, and
temporal boundaries.

Discussants introduce the panelists and foster the exchange of ideas
in the 20-minute discussion session following the presentations.

Deadlines:

Sunday, December 18, 2005--Applications due for all who wish to
attend.

Presenters must submit one-page, print-ready abstracts, which should
include author's name, institutional affiliation, and paper title.

Deadline: Sunday, January 8, 2006--Presenters must submit their
papers (5-7 pages). Since presenters will only have 15 minutes to
deliver a précis of their research, full-length research or theses
will not be accepted.

Housing:

The conference will run from Friday afternoon to Saturday evening.

Participants are urged to find their own accommodations. For early
respondents, a limited number of spaces are available with Columbia
students for Friday and Saturday nights. We regret that we may not
be able to provide accommodations for everyone. The conference
itself cannot support travel and accommodation costs and encourages
participants to apply for funding from their home institutions.

Conference Organizers:

Cheehyung Kim, Chad Diehl, Sarah Kile, Jonathan Twombly

Contact Information:

Email: asiagradcon at columbia.edu

Graduate Student Conference on East Asia Dept. of East Asian
Languages and Cultures
407 Kent Hall, Mail Code 3907
Columbia University
New York, NY 10027
FAX: 212-678-8629

Application Procedure (due December 18, 2005):

Send an email to the conference organizers(asiagradcon at columbia.edu)
with the following information:

Your full name (as you would like it to appear in the book of
conference abstracts, schedule, etc.)

Telephone number and email address

Mailing address

Institution you are affiliated with

Major area of study

Title of your paper (if you plan to present a paper)

If you want to be a discussant rather than a presenter, please let
us know

Your one-page abstract in print-ready format, including your name
and institution

NOTE: We are unable to accept applications without abstracts

Panel title of any preassembled panels in which you plan to
participate (optional)

If you have already formed a panel, the names of your fellow panel
members Any audiovisual equipment you will need for your
presentation (bear in mind that resources may be limited) Your
housing needs (Note: We recommend that you arrange your own
accommodations if possible. In the past, we have been able to find
accommodation for most participants who need it, but space is
limited.)

If you live in New York City and are willing to open your spacious
graduate student apartment to our out-of-town guests, please
indicate how many you can accommodate (You will have our undying
gratitude!)