[KS] film/drama class suggestions

J.Scott Burgeson jsburgeson at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 26 23:39:56 EDT 2005

--- Hyung Pai <hyungpai at eastasian.ucsb.edu> wrote:
> I am in the process of developing a class on Korean
> film and TV drama. I would appreciate
recommendations for new books, articles...

In the interest of geopolitical and ideological
balance, I heartily recommend Kim Jong Il's "On the
Art of the Cinema" (Foreign Languages Publishing
House, P'yongyang, 1989), his 329-page theoretical
handbook on the production of "revolutionary films." A
smaller pamphlet entitled "Great Man and Cinema"
details many of his visits to film sets in order to
selflessly offer "on-the-spot guidance." A must for
any serious student of Korean film...
   --Scott Bug