[KS] Italian loanwords in Korean

antonetta bruno uniroma1.it antonetta.bruno at uniroma1.it
Tue Mar 7 16:53:57 EST 2006

Dear All,

I would like to ask if anyone can help me to find sources (articles, dictionaries -although I have, of course, already, consulted the standard works- books, work in progress...) on Italian loanwords used in Korean. I have gathered a good 300 loanwords, but am unable to find much additional information about the history of their introduction, the question whether they are still current or not, the semantic domains in which they are used, and so on. I am also interested in pseudo-italianisms. I am working on this with a group of Italian linguists and the final goal of the project is to compile a dictionary of Italian words used all over the world.  I was asked to do the job for Korea, but it seems that not so much work has been done for Italian I could fall back upon, at least compared with English (American), German or French.

I would much appreciate your help.

Antonetta L. Bruno

Associate professor of Korean Studies

Faculty of Oriental Studies