[KS] Yu Kilchun

Vladimir Tikhonov vladimir.tikhonov at ikos.uio.no
Sun May 7 09:54:27 EDT 2006

Dear Andrzej (if I may),

You probably mean "P'aran malnyOn chOnsa" ( - "The History of Wars in
Poland's Last Years")? This book, originally written and published in
Japanese, was for the first time translated and published in Korean by O
YongsOn in 1899, and that edition was then republished in 1906. The book
was repeatedly advertized by HwangsOng sinmun, and greatly impressed
many early nationalists (who tended to use it as a textbook before the
Government-General prohibited the book, together with Liang Qichao's
writings, and other "subversive materials") and Confucian patriots, like
Han'gye Yi SUnghUi (who wrote a moving poem about the tragedy of
Poland). Yu Kilchun's translation, entitled "P'aran soemang chOnsa", was
never published and, in fact, little known. See Yun PyOnghUi, <Yu Kiljun
yOn'gu>, Kukhak yOn'guwOn, 1998, p. 78.

Best greetings,

Vladimir Tikhonov (Pak Noja)

--
Vladimir Tikhonov,
Department of Culture Studies and Oriental Languages,

http://www.geocities.com/volodyatikhonov/volodyatikhonov.html
Electronic classrooms: East Asian/Korean Society and Politics:
                        http://folk.uio.no/vladimit/eastasianstudies.htm
                        http://www.geocities.com/uioeastasia2002/main.html
                        East Asian/Korean Religion and Philosophy:

http://www.geocities.com/uioeastasia2003/classroom.html