[KS] A Question about the term hanbando

lawrence driscoll lawdri at hotmail.com
Wed May 10 13:15:36 EDT 2006

When it comes to loanwords, I think it can be safely said that Japan was on the receiving end up to the 20th century. But whether bandao is of Chinese origin is still an open question.

Lawrence Driscoll

From: mgduffy45 at hotmail.comTo: andy_kim at ukr.net; koreanstudies at koreaweb.wsDate: Wed, 10 May 2006 07:51:42 +0000Subject: Re: [KS] A Question about the term hanbando

Andriy Ryzhkov wrote:

First of all, it seems to me that it is not necessarily the Japanese who among the other nations of the same cultural and historical Far East area were first to derive the word [bando]. And not necessarily it was a semantic borrowing from English - what if Japanese (or Chinese, for example) didn`t borrow it from English or any other languages at all? Do you have any evidence that it was a loan-word? This question needs more etymological investigation.
In Hong Kong, the term "Gauluhng bundou" (The Kowloon Peninsula, home to the famous Bundou Jaudim - the Peninsula Hotel) is commonly used. There are various other smaller "bundou's" scattered around the SAR, for example Sai Kung and Stanley Peninsulas (or should that be Peninsulae?). The word goes back at at least a century or so in Chinese - it appears in Roy T. Cowles' 1914 Pocket Dictionary of Cantonese.