[KS] Yonsei-KF Korean Studies Forum- May 16th

김혁래 hyukrae at yonsei.ac.kr
Thu May 11 23:45:33 EDT 2006

.Bold { font-weight: bold; }
.Title { font-weight: bold; font-size: 18px; color: #cc3300; }
.Code { border: #8b4513 1px solid; padding-right: 5px; padding-left: 5px;color: #000066; font-family: 'Courier New' , Monospace;background-color: #ff9933; }
The Korean Studies Program and the Institute for Modern Korean Studies at the Graduate School of International Studies, Yonsei University are pleased to invite you to attend the 58th Yonsei-KF Korean Studies Forum, which will be held on Tuesday, May 16th at 6:00 pm in Room 702 of New Millennium Hall at Yonsei University. The speaker will be Ewha Woman’s University Professor, Heather Willoughby.   Her talk will be "This Ain’t Your Granny’s P’ansori… Or is it?:  Continuity and Change in Contemporary Performance Practices.”  The abstract of her paper can be found at the end of this email.
The presentation will be followed by a dinner reception. I hope you will come to enjoy the presentation, the discussion, and the reception. Contact Cedar Bough Saeji at 016-525-3239, umyang at gmail.com for further inquiries.

Sincerely,

Hyuk-Rae Kim
Professor of Korean Studies
GSIS,

Yonsei

University

            Abstract:

            Korea's solo narrative art form, p’ansori, is well-known for its prevalent use of harsh and raspy vocal timbres. In recent years, however, there has been a noticeable trend among some singers to refine the tone qualities. This is accomplished not only though the alteration of vocal production itself, but also by adding (Korean and/or Western) instrumental accompaniment. My early research on p’ansori examined timbre as a cultural and ideological system, concentrating on how the harsh vocal qualities are used to express emotions such as lament, suffering, and grief – as encapsulated in the indigenous concept of han.  This paper will compare my original findings with recent research on the timbral changes of p’ansori. By extension, I will also investigate whether or not the softening of the tone qualities has also affected the underlying emotions expressed in the genre. This topic is of interest because in addition to transforming the sound production in the newly created performances, the traditional story lines are also often limited to the more humorous or pleasant episodes of the p’ansori tales, thereby eliminating not only the harshness of sound, but the depiction of the harshness of life as well.

            * By way of example, several entertaining sound and video samples will be played during the presentation