[KS] Everlasting Flower

David McCann dmccann at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Oct 3 08:26:15 EDT 2006

Not knowing whether word is out and around, I wanted to bring to the
attention of the list a new Korean history, _Everlasting Flower, A
History of Korea_ by Keith Pratt.  I got wind of it rather close to the
start of the semester, asked for an examination copy, and had enough of
a look to order it for my course this fall.  It would be good to have
some historians' comments in this circle of friends and colleagues, but
from my perspective, from the literary/cultural side of things the book
seems to have many virtues:  among them, an uncluttered narrative, with
a reasonable amount of detail; consistent reference to contemporary
issues and/or reflections of the historical (The Chang Pogo Foundation,
for example); and a series of two-page Picture Essays, examples of
Korean material culture, ranging from the Emille bell to Song Shiyôp's
"The Sound of Creation," a "/juche/ realist painting from 1998, with
interpretive commentary.

David McCann