[KS] Air conditioning and facial paralysis

David McCann dmccann at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Sep 19 07:57:23 EDT 2006

A related note:

Back in the days, in 1967 my family in Andong set up a heater for me in
my room.  It was ondol 'heated,' but a bowl of water beside me on the
table would freeze overnight.

The heater used charcoal briquettes, and seemed to do the job.  But one
night, evidently, the wind came from an unexpected direction.  I woke
up, barely, in the middle of the night, eyes streaming, mucous pouring,
quite unable to do more than crawl over to the door and fall out onto
the small porch outside.

I realized later how lucky I had been that those yônt'an briquettes were
so terribly full of impurities.  I think it was the sulfur that had
saved me.  The newspapers carried fairly frequent stories of others who
hadn't had such luck.

David McCann