[KS] Korean typewriters

David McCann dmccann at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Sep 20 07:45:51 EDT 2006

The office person in the school where I taught– The Andong Agriculture
and Forestry High School– had a big typewriter. Looked like those old
manuals, but big. I tried it, and it had shift keys that would move the
roller carriage up and even back into position for the completion of the
combination of letters, syllable by syllable.

I also remember some years later, in 1974, to be precise, sitting with
some other grad students then in Korea for dissertation research,
dreaming about the perfect machine. We pictured a typewriter with a huge
roll of paper so you could just keep going and going, when you broke
through the logjam of research and out into the swift currents of
thought. Wishful thinking.

And then, of course, Screens! Computers! Bliss!

David McCann