[KS] Looking for an old house in Noryangjin, Seoul

Stefan Ewing sa_ewing at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 25 13:20:44 EDT 2006

Dear KS list members:

A lady has contacted me asking to locate a house in Seoul that her great
grandparents lived in, and if possible take a picture of it.  As I live in
Canada, there's not much I can do for her.  I've attached her email (minus
personal information) below.  A few notes:

1) She sent along an old photo of the house, available through this link:
http://pictures.aol.com/ap/singleImage.do?pid=3ca0x3uS7Dtn2m2QPhNf1jQmK8LudAokAkSvv4xQp5Fd3Ig%3D

2) In the address she's provided, Roryoshin appears to be the Japanese name
for Noryangjin (http://www.fallingrain.com/world/KS/11/Noryangjindong.html).

3) Dr. Cwiertka asked this question back in April (which is how this lady
found out about the Army Map Service's 1946 map of Seoul, I guess), but can
anyone think of any additional Japanese-era maps of Seoul, beyond those
mentioned in the spring?  (The thread starts here:
http://koreaweb.ws/pipermail/koreanstudies_koreaweb.ws/2006-April/005530.html)

How might she match the address of her great grandparents' house to a
modern-day address?  Are there archives anywhere storing property records
from the colonial era?

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks,
Stefan Ewing

***

Dear Stefan,

Thank you for posting the Keijo map from Texas University.  We went to the
genealogical library in Salt Lake City looking for a map and so far this one
has been the best.  Do you know where I can find a more detailed map of
Keijo (a map with street names in Japanese or romanized English)?

My great grandparents use to live in 205 Roryoshin, Eitohoku, Seoul.  I am
looking for their old house.  I also posted a picture of there house just in
case anyone happens to be in the neighborhood.  If you do see it, could you
take a snapshot of the house for me?

Sincerely,
Esther ...