[KS] Korean Shakespeare-movies or -dramas?

Darcy Paquet darcy at koreanfilm.org
Sat Jul 19 12:18:34 EDT 2008

Dear Jan,

In Jang Jin's 2001 film GUNS & TALKS ("Killeodeul-ui suda"),
an assassin shoots an actor playing Hamlet just as his
character dies on stage (if I remember correctly).  The
whole sequence is quite impressively shot, and they show
several scenes from the play before the gun is fired.

The best way to search for Shakespeare references in Korean
films is to go to www.kmdb.or.kr and search for terms like
"Hamlet" and "Romeo" in Korean.  I see that there is a 1980
film called RUN BALLOON ("Dallyeora pungseon") in which the
main character plays Romeo in a university play.  Seems like
a pretty obscure movie, but apparently the film archive has
prints in their collection.

That database even turns up student films.  It's a pretty
amazing resource.

Best,
Darcy Paquet