[KS] Library of Congress Korean Controversy

Eugene Y. Park eugene.y.park at uci.edu
Mon Jul 21 13:30:49 EDT 2008

Dear all,

Before anything else, I'd like to thank David, Scott, and Marko for
clarifying their positions. After reading more recent postings, I want to
comment further on the issues of neutral U.S. "policy," lobbying, and
international court.

First of all, especially with the kind of system that we have in the U.S.,
we certainly cannot expect one agency to declare what will be the
"neutral" name for the islets in question and ensure that all American
insitutions and individuals abide by that--not to even mention a "U.S.
policy." So again, I'd like to argue that one very useful indicator of
what Americans regard as the de facto "netural" name for the islets is how
most of the American maps, atlases, and encyclopedias label the islets. As
far as I know, for decades, "neutral" Americans have preferred to note
both Koran and Japanese names for the islets. Since I'm not persuaded by
the argument that Liancourt Rocks has been THE neutral American name for
the islets, I find good logic in Han and other librarians' effort to
prevent a shift from the decades-old convetion to Liancourt Rocks.

Also, as Young-Key notes, we're not discussing these issues face-to-face
with everyone that we know in person, and thus it's important that we take
caution with all these loaded terms like "lobbying." And I won't even get
into the fact that in the West, citizens of Asian descent periodically
undergo some media or political scrutiny about lobbying for an Asian
government (remeber the last one, in the Clinton-era U.S., involving
China?). More importantly: Without adequate evidence, how can we say that
a person is "lobbying" for a government? I really think Scott should let
Hana off the hook on this one, that is the charge that she's "lobbying"
for the South Korean government.

As a historian of premodern Korea, I'm afraid that neither South Korea nor
Japan has an "air-tight case" for the claim to the islets. If I were to
dare to quantify the amount of evidence (mostly maps and documents)
favoring one side or another, I'd say 40 percent favor Korea, 30 percent
favor Japan, and 30 percent neither. Regardless, what sems to make the
Koreans more emotional about the islets is the way in which Japan
solidified its claim roughly a century ago when Korea obviously was
powerless to defend itself against the Japanese aggression. If the fact
that Korea was liberated from Japan more than 50 years does not make the
Koreans less sensitive to any statement or action in defense of Japanese
colonial rule in general, then how can we expect the Koreans to be not
"vociferous" about the islets that they've been controlling?

Of course it's not just the emotion that determines why one side wants to
take the case to the international court and the other won't. We're
dealing with governments here, and they obviously calculate potential
gains and losses. When it comes to the islets issue, South Korean
government apparently sees no reason to take the case to the international
court, whereas Japan could only gain from doing so. Likewise, Japan has
its own reasons as to why it won't take the Kuril Islands issue to the
international court while Russia wants to, but please correct me on this
if I'm wrong. If I'm right on the Kurils, then so much for the notion that
Japan is a consistent supporter of the international court while South
Korea is not.

Overall, I am frustrated by the way many South Korean media, institutions,
and individuals--as well as some postings on this list serve--seem to
approach the issue. Sensationalized reports (e.g. the claim that South
Korean government has decided to station marines at the islets), acts of
self-mutilation, and killing animals (even if they didn't symbolize Japan,
I'd be just as appalled) only make the Korean argument look weak in the
eyes of others. In sum, we as the members of this discussion group bear a
heavy responsibility of continuing a rational exchange of ideas.

Yours,
Gene (please)

Eugene Y. Park
Associate Professor