[KS] Bullying in ROK Public Schools

Eugene Y. Park eugene.y.park at uci.edu
Thu May 28 03:16:51 EDT 2009

Dear all,

Though I understood Mike Robinson's initial posting as more of a request
for published materials on bullying in ROK public schools so that the
lawyers contacting him could make a stronger case, I think the ensuing
discussion has broadened in scope thanks to many insightful comments.

Unless I missed any detail from previous postings, I wonder how a visibly
Korean-looking yet entirely English-speaking child from Korean
American/jaemi gyopo background (such as the one Mike was describing)
would fare. Besides the kind of student body the particular public school
has, I would think that how a child's perceived foreignness and the kind
of foreignness would be variables too.

At least we all seem to talk informally about how, say, darker
complexioned Southeast Asians, English-speaking Koreans born overseas, and
Westerners may get different treatments in a particular circumstance with
all other variables supposedly fixed. One reason why I'm posing this
question is that in a few years, my Korean-born wife and I (a 1.5 Korean
American) will have to decide on spending a year in either South Korea or
Japan with an elementary school-age daughter with whom we only use
English.

Yours,
Gene Park

--