[KS] Older books about Korea online

Brother Anthony ansonjae at sogang.ac.kr
Fri Sep 25 02:52:58 EDT 2009

I have only just realized that quite a number of early books about Korea are available through the Internet. In particular, the Internet Archive / Google makes it possible to view well-scanned images of the originals of a good number, while text files made by ocr and other forms of streaming are also available. I have compiled a list of some of the most obviously interesting titles at   http://hompi.sogang.ac.kr/anthony/BooksKorea.htm   but a search for "Korea" in the "texts" section of the Internet Archive http://www.archive.org/index.php     will bring up many more.

I have also added to my Isabella Bird page http://hompi.sogang.ac.kr/anthony/Bird/KoreaandherNeighbors.htm  a few additional photos taken by her that were not used in her book. Those of Kwanghwa-mun and the west gate to Pusan-jin are especially interesting.

Hoping this will be of interest

Brother Anthony
Sogang University, Seoul
http://hompi.sogang.ac.kr/anthony/