[KS] Song of Ariran

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Fri Aug 20 19:12:54 EDT 2010

Thanks for putting that out there, Brother Anthony.
The book was so amazingly popular -- for a reason -- that the
decision of the U of Washington Press surprises me. Especially
irritating as the planned edition would have come with new
annotations. In the past 25 years South Korean, Japanese, and
Korean-Chinese scholars have produced a whole lot of studies that
relate to Kim San (alias Chang Chi-rak) and the Ariran book. Maybe
someone should sponsor/organize a conference that circles around the
book and his hero and the author -- and republish the book together
with conference papers. IT WOULD BE WORTH THE EFFORT. There are just
soooo many connections to me made: the main figure and his story and
groups around him really involves far more than 'just' his story.

There are, by the way, several Korean and Japanese translations, and
the studies that relate to the book would easily fill several Ikea
shelves.

Listen, University Press of Washington Press, you should really
publish this and not loose out on all the fortunes that it will bring
you to then publish less popular titles!

Best,
Frank