[KS] Korean vocalizing

Janelli, Roger L. janelli at indiana.edu
Tue Jul 27 08:41:52 EDT 2010

Dear Dr. Kramer,

You might have hard pansori competition, as Liora Sarfati has suggested.

Another possibility is that you heard a form of vocal exercise. Many (15-20) years ago, a large tract of land now taken up by  Korea University hospital was vacant mountain and had had become a favorite early morning exercise location for local residents and others.  I usually heard individuals shouting when I visited the place for  own summer morning exercise.

Roger L. Janelli
Professor Emeritus
Folklore and Ethnomusicology
East Asian Languages and Cultures