[KS] Publication Announcement: Korea Journal, vol. 50, no. 3

Korea Journal kj at unesco.or.kr
Fri Oct 15 03:45:24 EDT 2010

Dear list members,

We are pleased to announce the publication of Korea Journal, vol. 50, no. 3. This issue revisits the candlelight protest of 2008, not by examining and evaluating the incident and its implications as has been done in the past, but by using the incident as a lens to gain a deeper understanding of the changing aspects of contemporary Korean society. The 2008 candlelight vigils have been recognized as being much different from past social movements in terms of the types of issues, participants, and methods of communication, thus stimulating considerable research and debates both inside and outside academic circles.

This issue of Korea Journal has three papers that discuss the protest’s participants and one that discusses risk communication. The first three authors discuss who the participants of the 2008 candlelight demonstration were. The issue of participant demographics is the most important topic in studying and understanding the movement. By analyzing the participants of the movement, we can better understand how contemporary Korean society has changed; we find new voices and new important players in Korean politics and social movements. To discuss the rise of the new agents in Korean society, one paper discusses the role of teenagers in the protest and the other two focus on the role of women participants, two demographic groups that have not been considered as main agents of previous social movements or the landscape of Korean politics. The three papers clearly show a fundamental social change: teenagers and ordinary housewives not only participated but became important players in the 2008 protests. The last paper in this issue discusses the problem of risk communication and public trust.

In addition to these special issue articles, this issue contains three other papers that were selected by a rigorous peer review process and one book review.

This issue’s contents are as follows:

Special Topic: Contemporary Korean Society Viewed through the Lens of the Candlelight Vigils of 2008

HAN Do-Hyun / [On this topic] Contemporary Korean Society Viewed through the Lens of the Candlelight Vigils of 2008

Chul-Kyoo KIM and Hae-Jin LEE / Teenage Participants of the 2008 Candlelight Vigil: Their Social Characteristics and Changes in Political Views

KIM Young Ok / Understanding the Candlelight Demonstration and Women’s Political Subjectivity through the Perspective of Changing Publicity

Suhong CHAE and Soojin KIM / The Candlelight Protest and the Politics of the Baby Stroller Brigades

HONG Sung-gi / A Look at the Changes in Debate Structure in Korea through the Candlelight Vigils

ARTICLES

Hyeok Rae KWON / Memories of the Manchu Wars of the Seventeenth Century in East Asia and Literary Descriptions of the Qing Dynasty

Daniel SCHWEKENDIEK and Seong-Ho JUN / From the Poorest to the Tallest in East Asia: The Secular Trend in Height of South Koreans

Huajeong SEOK / International Rivalry in Korea and Russia’s East Asian Policy in the Late Nineteenth Century

BOOK REVIEW

YOON Seung Yong / Taboo-Breaking Research into Messiah Movements in Korea

Taking this opportunity, we would like to remind the list members that we welcome any submissions relevant to the field of Korean Studies.

Best regards,

Korea Journal
Tel: 82-2-755-6224/6225
Fax: 82-2-755-7477