[KS] Egypt and Gwangju 1980

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Tue Feb 15 10:51:37 EST 2011

Rüdiger, sure!

Marx called me up recently to say he had made
some mistakes, after finally having read Rudolf
Bahro. Kwangju 1980s is a perfect example for a
growing middle class "revolution" using
pre-Marxist and later also Marxist terminology
mixed with nativist agendas that were developed
in reaction to both the pre-colonial area and the
American dominance. (One then wonders, of course,
if there ever was in history anything like a
proletarian revolution.) The "mob" -- as Don Kirk
refers to the people protesting in the streets of
Korean cities -- interesting choice of
terminology -- and as he noted this with some
good insights (earlier link posted) -- were then
mostly not part of the proletariat and aren't now
either, or at the very least, the proletariat is
not what Marx anticipated that it would become.
This is no news. This was a classical "new
middle-class" revolution: is this not also the
interpretation the majority of historians agree
on? I really think we have nicely incorporated
the Marx brothers in all newer theories. So I was
looking at a little more 'upgraded' concept or
theory that would connect the history of
colonialism, post-war economic development, the
China-First success, and all those 1980s to 2000s
changes we see into some sort of new history, new
historical perspective ... some addendum to Weber
and Wallerstein. Thanks.

Frank