[KS] HOFFMANN_SK Korean Pavilion

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Fri Jul 8 15:00:56 EDT 2011

Dear All:

Rüdiger's posting from Wednesday reminds me that
in the post-post-everything age we are left with
"short opinion pieces" instead of, say, a
sociopolitical analysis or what was in my area of
interest until the mid-20th century called art
criticism. Not sure if iPhone screens are too
small for analytical criticism, but short opinion
pieces at least do not demand to take
accountability: if worse comes to worst someone
will post a different opinion, and that is
nothing to worry about as it does not count
either.

Here my even shorter opinion piece--about the
"Korean Pavilion" (featuring artist Lee Yongbaek)
at the Venice Biennale 2011, at the new 'Art in
America' Website, with a small slide show (click
on the image). Everything really en petit, so
your iPhone's cute CPU can process words and
images: no overclocking, no analysis, just
opinion.

--> http://www.artinamericamagazine.com
-->
http://www.artinamericamagazine.com/news-opinion/news/2011-07-08/korean-pavilion-venice-biennale/

The show's official CATALOG, by the way, is available in PDF format:
http://www.korean-pavilion.or.kr/11pavilion/img/LYB.pdf

That above catalog, edited by the Korean
Pavilion's commissioner, is quite some cultural
relict in itself--cultural historians might
unearth that a hundred years from now and might
wonder what the heck this was all about: from
Zhuangzi's butterfly dream to Baudrillard's
Simulacra and Simulation to the triumph of
"Hitler-like leaders" (p. 68) in contemporary
Korea--nobody and nothing is left out. Aim high!
We are told Commissioner Yun "has lived for the
reconstruction of Asian art and Korean culture"
(p. 67). Sounds obnoxiously familiar, somehow.
I'd suggest the 18th century then. How's that? If
anyone ever wondered whether there is anything
like "development" in modern art ... I bet your
iPhone Google app says no. Trust it.

Greetings from Veniceland,
Frank Hoffmann