[KS] reprehensible journalism from Arirang TV

Roald Maliangkay Roald.Maliangkay at anu.edu.au
Thu Mar 24 20:20:50 EDT 2011

Dear Don,

There¹s no fine line between ³appealing images² and fun, and sending out the
message that women with heavy-looking legs can do much better. I am not
calling for a crusade at all, but I certainly don¹t think it is in good
taste and can be harmful to girls. I am sorry you find me shameful in
condemning its public message. I think that public broadcasters should know
better than to portray women like that without at least a sense of humour or
critical side-note. I quite like a bit of humour too, you see, but this one
really had none of it; they should have taken the Mickey out of it, but they
didn¹t. Geez, there¹s enough sexists in Asian studies... Do we really have
to ignore this video in the name of your free speech? Free speech means I
can criticise it, so shame on you for telling me to keep my mouth shut. You
should know better.

Roald