[KS] Korea and Koreans as featured in literary works by non-Korean(ist) writers

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Fri Oct 28 02:43:43 EDT 2011

Dear Rüdiger and All:

Then let me be the Korean bride's savior, and
that of the German language, and the Germans and
Austrians in general :)

(1)
Rüdiger wrote:
   "odd German, by the way"

The wording of the title was by no means odd in
German language. In contemporary German you would
expect "aus" instead of "von"--not so in the 19th
century and before. Just think of Schiller's
tragedy:
   Braut von Messina   (Schiller)
There were many operas with similar titles:
   Braut von Damaskus   (Emil Otto)
   Braut von Frascati   (German translation of Italian opera title)
The use of the preposition "von" is here not a
replacement of the 'lokale Präposition' "aus" but
can, in English, be translated or understood as
"of": "Bride of Messina" etc. (or in French
"Fiancée de Missine").
Those "Braut von ..." titles for operas (and
obviously ballets) were extremely popular during
the late 19th century, also in combination with
country names:
   Braut von Cypern   (Gustav Kulenkampff, after novel by Paul Heyse)
But this is not all:  All the way from medieval
times to around 1900 you will find that the
preposition "von" is being used in this
particular way in German language. Just two weeks
ago I quoted here Grimmelshausen's 17th century
novel. He writes for example about "Glas von
Muran" (= Murano) and not "Glas aus Muran" or
uses the phrase "die beständigste Farbe von der
Welt"--yet another example of the various usages
of "von" in premodern (if not pre-contemporary)
German--today we would not use any preposition
here.

(2)
Rüdiger wrote:
   "the costume is actually a
hanbok <http://www.bildindex.de/obj07053790.html>http://www.bildindex.de/obj07053790.html.
    was afraid to see something more Japanese  (...) "'Sho Gun' (...)."

Yes, that sketch comes indeed very close to how
men's chôgori and baji looked (not too sure about
the position of the knot on the chôgori). Of
course, Korean costumes had been introduced to
Germany by von Sieboldt in his _Nippon_ series
(around 1840), then by Ernst Oppert, and by the
end of the 19th century these costumes were well
documented and known from various other
publications (Hesse-Wartegg, etc.). Two years
before _Die Braut von Korea_ was first put on
stage, Ernst Zimmermann published a catalog of
the Hamburg collection of Korean costumes,
furniture, and other daily life objects
(_Koreanische Kunst_, Hamburg: Carl Griese, 1895).

What surprises me is Rüdiger Frank's indication
that some "ignorant perspective" could have been
expected, some merging of Korea and Japan. That
really does not strike any chord with me! That
would have not at all been typical for any
European country, and also not for German
speaking countries. German humanities and social
sciences rather reflect Humboldt's spirit: the
accuracy and precision used for the construction
of machines was strongly reflected in the 19th
century German and Austrian sciences, but also in
culture in general. What I refer to here are the
FACTUAL representations of other cultures, that
is, the mechanical representation of other
cultures "as facts" (names, locations,
statistics). As the German and Austrian cases
show, but not only these, this does not
necessarily relate to the degree of racism and/or
an appreciation of other cultures! However, Korea
was at all times being recognized as a separate
country with its own culture (in all Europe, I
think), even while it was occupied by Japan, and
even in Nazi Germany (at a time Germany and Japan
were allies). The public perception was not any
different from this, for those being aware of the
country's existence, and that had already been so
during the Weimar Republic and the 19th century.

Best,
Frank Hoffmann