[KS] Hancom Office (HWP) on non-Korean Windows?

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Fri Sep 2 12:13:02 EDT 2011

A. Charles Muller wrote:

>As I understand it, only Ultimate actually allows you to switch the
>language of the entire menu interfaces, but lesser versions still
>support other languages at a basic level.

That is correct. Even the very basic version of Windows 7 fully
supports the use of East Asian languages, reading and writing, if you
alter the settings accordingly in the language/region control panel.
It is also correct that you can only in the expensive Windows 7
"Ultimate" version change the change the systems language (so that
all the basic menus are in e.g. Korean). That, however, is only
necessary when using a Korean-made program/script that has such
Korean-only menu. And older versions of HWP were such programs. If,
however, you look at the  sales website for the 2010 version ...
http://www.hancom.co.kr/hancom/eng/product/product01_03.jsp
... you see that you can run this new version on English language OS
versions as well ... QUOTE: "The Korean Language Pack must be
installed if the installed version of Microsoft Windows is in a
language other than Korean."

I should add that the basic version of Windows 7 have a ton of other
restrictions, some of which also will make your life harder when
using the usual tools and programs you need to work with Korean
sources. So, that basic Windows 7 version is a big no no if you want
to do anything serious related to Korean studies. You'd rather
upgrade, or better, use Windows XP .... if it has to be Windoze.

Best,
Frank