[KS] Royal Asiatic Society Korea Branch in July

Brother Anthony ansonjae at sogang.ac.kr
Sat Jun 30 06:42:48 EDT 2012

Members of this list currently in Korea might be interested in our upcoming activities. Full details are in our home page http://www.raskb.com/
Inquiries should be sent to royalasiatickorea at gmail.com

Lectures  (held in the 2nd-floor residents' lounge of Somerset Palace near Anguk-dong)

Tuesday, July 10, 2012, 7:30 pm
Confucianism and Theism: A look at the life and thought of Tasan Ch?ng Yagyong
Prof. Donald Baker (UBC)

Tuesday, September 11, 2012, 7:30 pm
Revolutionaries, Nursery Rhymes, and Edison Wax Cylinders: The Remarkable Tale of the Earliest Sound Recordings of Korean Music
Dr. Robert Provine

Excursions

Gangjin: Celadon in its contexts
Saturday-Sunday, July 7-8
Leader: Pablo Barrera

Haein-sa temple
Saturday, July 14, 2012
Brother Anthony

Soyang Lake & Gugok Water Fall (Chuncheon)
Sunday, July 15, 2012
Leader: Sue Bae

Naejang-San National Park
Saturday, July 21, 2012
Leader: Sue Bae

Inner Seorak & South Seorak Rhapsody (rescheduled)
Saturday, July 28, 2012
Leader: Sue Bae

Danyang, Gosu Caves and Chungju Lake,
Sunday, August 5
Leader: Sue Bae

Seoul Museum of History and the Agricultural Museum
Saturday, August 18
Leader: F. Jeremy Seligson

Cheongpyeong Lake
Sunday, August 26
Leader: Sue Bae

Dongkang river rafting
Saturday, September 1,
Leader: Sue Bae

RAS Reading Club
To learn about Korea and develop cultural literacy through reading works of Korean literature (in English translation). The next meeting will be held on Monday July 23 at 7 pm in the Inje University building, discussing “The Old Hatter” by Yi Mun-yol.   (See map in “Library” in our home page).
Contact: Bob Fouser   kagoshimabob at gmail.com

RAS Photo Special Interest Group
We are organizing a monthly photography special interest group, the RAS Photo SIG, to help people improve their photographic skills. Meetings are usually held once a month in the Inje University building (See map in “Library” in our home page). .
Contact: Tom Coyner    tom at softlandingkorea.com

National Museum of Korea: RASKB lecture-visit
We are offering a monthly in-depth tour of one portion of the National Museum of Korea with an English-speaking member of their staff. The next such visit, focussing on the Special exhibition of Korean art preserved in the United States, will be held on Wednesday 18 July, starting at 7:00 pm.