[KS] Buddhism in Korea

Bill Streifer photografr7 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 2 16:53:57 EDT 2013

In a 1946 U.S. intelligence report concerning Hamhung, North Korea, there's a reference to a religious statue or monument known as the Tower of the Nine Heavens.

The only reference I found to a monument by that name was a Buddhist structure in Vietnam, also known as "Cuu Thien." But, as I've just said, this one was in North Korea in 1946 on Mt. Pannyong which is adjacent to the residential city of Hamhung.

Is anyone familiar with a Buddhist civilization in that area at that time? Or can anyone describe or have a photograph of the "The Tower of the Nine Heavens," either in Korea or in Vietnam? If so, please let me know.

Thank you.

Bill Streifer