[KS] Mein Kampf

Bruce Cumings rufus88 at uchicago.edu
Fri Aug 9 22:34:27 EDT 2013

It has been amusing to read the various posts on Kim Jong Un allegedly
handing out copies of Mein Kampf  to aides and associates. First, the
explicit or implicit assumption that this is just one more good reason
to revile this regime, more evidence of its depravity (even though we
have no proof that the story has any basis in fact); then a couple of
people point out that this book can also be found fairly easy in South
Korea; then the trail of this discussion grows cold, until Frank
brought us today's learned post by a Japanese historian--with the tag
that I might also have written about this same phenomenon. I
appreciate the reference and truly loathe tooting my own horn. But my
discussion of these very same things runs through both volumes of my
Origins of the Korean War--yet often I was just representing what
secret internal American reports in the late 1940s said over and over
again: that Yi Pom-sok's "Blue Shirts" were offshoots of Chiang Kai-
shek's fascist youth wing by the same name (Chiang, of course, chose
blue in the 1930s because black, brown and green were already called
for; Yi Pom-sok was just copying Chiang); that the U.S. Occupation
tried to clean up his Blue Shirts by officially funding and sponsoring
them as the Korean National Youth--yet the KNY was secretly reported
over and over again to have been engaged in terrorist activities; that
a more virulent "youth group" (many members were in their 40s), the
Northwest Youth, was a self-proclaimed terrorist organization,
wreaking havoc throughout the South; that An Ho-sang, the first
Minister of Education, was a clear fascist who admired Hitler and
German philosophy and had a degree from Jena University in Germany (he
was no dummy, a very interesting man in many ways, who trumpeted the
chuch'e idea--his version--in his books and speeches; but still, a
fascist); that the head of the Seoul Metropolitan Police, Chang T'aek-
sang, was another admirer of fascism who was still sporting a Hitler/
Tojo/Charlie Chaplin-style moustache in 1947, when it had, so to
speak, gone quickly out of fashion elsewhere in the world--and on and
on. Yi Pom-sok's leadership of the KNY made him very powerful; he was
South Korea's first Defense Minister. You find in his writings of the
time similar emphases as in Dr. An's, if in short form: admiration for
Hitler and fascism, discussion of chuch'e, focus on "one singular,
pure ethnic people," namely the Korean minjok--and then of course we
had Syngman Rhee's ideology, Ilminjui, which Americans could never
understand; this too was a reflection of Chinese influence, but
instead of Sun Yat Sen's progressive Three People's Principles, you
have Rhee's One People Principle: Koreans first, Koreans always,
Koreans forever. But one can understand the popularity of such ideas:
80 years of history had taught Koreans that if they don't look after
their own interests and focus on them, they can be sure no one else
will.

To study Korea as a foreign scholar is to engage in a profound
exercise in difference: in the late 1960s translations of Mein Kampf
were available in most book shops in Seoul, and on street book carts;
I saw them many times, but I did not know the meaning of what I was
seeing--what was the attraction of this book, which is mainly an
ignorant stew of racial and ethnic stereotypes? A leader whom I
admired from the late 1940s, Yo Un-hyong, like so many other leaders
at the time, referred to mein kampf--my struggle, naui t'ujaeng. That
doesn't make him a fascist, but it does make him different from
liberal imaginings. After he was assassinated in July 1947--with the
support and connivance of Chang's police, I am convinced--at his
funeral huge, swaying crowds carried signs saying this: Sun of the
Nation (minjogui t'aeyang). Need I point out that North Korea was
already saying the same thing about Kim Il Sung?

People like Yo, Kim, An, and indeed both Korean regimes, came out of
an interwar milieu that had turned much of the world toward extremes
of left and right, with the middle ground falling away; liberalism was
barely breathing, except in the US and UK (and in both it was also
threatened by extremes of left and right). Yet always, always, I would
read internal laments by American officials that these very same
folks--Yo, Kim, An, Rhee--were not putting down the roots of liberalism.

Anyone who has read H. D. Harootunian's Overcome by Modernity would
not be surprised by Deputy Prime Minister Aso Taro's remark last week
about Hitler doing a good job in revising the Weimar Constitution.
These are outbursts from the political id of the rightwing of the LDP.
They are manifestations of a time when fascist ideology was dominant
in Japan, when Prime Minister Abe's grandfather, Kishi Nobosuke, was a
rising star in Manchukuo. Both Koreas emerged from a similar interwar
milieu. The occasional remnant signs of this past are no more
surprising then the continuing reverence among many Lousianans for
Huey Long, whose statue stands outside the Capitol Building in Baton
Rouge.

Santayana was not quite right when he said that those who cannot
remember history are bound to repeat it. It is more a matter of not
knowing history, of studying a country and a civilization going back
to antiquity without taking upon oneself the necessary labor of trying
to exclude one's own dearest beliefs, lest they cloud an apprehension
of Korea's very different historical roots.