[KS] quick questions: (a) language/phrase

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreanstudies.com
Tue Aug 20 21:29:17 EDT 2013

Dear All:

Got direct replies from about ten different scholars on that
translation/understanding issue. A very big thank you!

It is all clear now. Let me repeat what I learned from you. I am
quoting (I am sure he does not mind, as he is right on) how Dr.Young
Kyun Oh put it (pretty much the same as Dr. Stefan Knoob explained it
as well):

---quote---
I think the second kyosu should be 'teaching' or 'mentoring,' and the
sentence within the parentheses reads: "(he) is Mr. Kim Chung-se, who
is said to have had earlier received teachings from (or mentored by)
the same/said professor at Leipzig University." Here "the same
professor" would refer to the one who is being interviewed (i.e., one
who is commenting on his impression about the Chosŏn students whom he
had met in Germany). "Tong" is used as a prefix meaning 'the same, the
very, the said'.
-----------

Yes, absolutely, that must be it! That 'tong kyosu' must refer to the
person being interviewed, to Haenisch himself, and NOT to 'Kim paksa'
at the sentence opening. As Dr. Knoob also pointed out to me, and we
see that indeed a lot in early modern Korean, this and other texts from
the period show a messy mixture of indirect and direct quotations.
Absolutely, yes. The part in parentheses must then be understood as an
interjection by the editor explaining that Kim Chung-se had been taken
classes from Prof. Haenisch. (I should add that Haenisch was not just a
sinologist but also interested in Manchu and other "oriental" cultures,
and Kim had not just specialized on China alone … but finally did
research and published on Zhou dynasty and other ancients texts).

Thank you for helping! That was wonderful support.
Frank