[KS] Korean Map tool (online)

Henny Savenije webmaster at henny-savenije.pe.kr
Mon Jul 1 12:48:44 EDT 2013

I have one copy here too

http://cartography.henny-savenije.pe.kr/quality/pages/1846ca~1_jpg.htm

and here one based on it

http://cartography.henny-savenije.pe.kr/quality/pages/missionair_jpg.htm

At 05:57 PM 6/30/2013 Sunday -0700, you wrote:

>That is a wonderful article, making use of diachronic linguistics,
>general history, administrative changes in history, geography, and
>writing style to describe and date a map. A pleasure to read!!!
>
>As for the Kim Tae-gŏn main from 1845 or 1846, the place names there
>seem not to have been in Han'gÅ­l but in Roman letters that then, in
>most cases, rendered the Korean pronunciation of place names, as this
>was a map prepared for Western missionaries to enter Korea. I have not
>seen the original, just reprints in various Korean works, and
>descriptions. (It's actually pretty popular and almost always gets a
>mention when Kim Tae-gŏn is mentioned.) In 2009 a specially prepared
>COPY of the original was made for an exhibition at the Jeoldusan
>Catholic Martyrs Museum in Seoul (exhibit Nov. 5-22, 2009).
>Also, the Tok-do Museum (ë
도박물관) has a copy of the copy (to no
> [...]
> > maker. The owner, who lives in Paris, bought the map on a whim at an
> > auction in Germany a year and a half ago.
> >
> >   Going by the cartographic method and handwriting, I see the maker
> > as an amateur and probably a self-trained cartographer.
> > Cartographically the map is in the traditional "ChOng Ch'Ok" style,
> > which goes back to the mid-15th and lasted into the mid-18th century,
> > when Korean cartographers absorbed Western techniques that yielded a
> > much more accurate outline of the Korean peninsula, and in particular
> > the outline of Korea's northern frontier. The hangul place names and
> > notes reflect the Korean orthography current in the late 17th through
> > the late 18th centuries. The paper has been estimated as of the same
> > time span.
> >
> >   There was a map made in 1845 by the Korean Catholic convert Kim
> > TaegOn that used Hangul for its place names and other indications.
> > Kim was ordained as a priest in Macao and later served as a Korean
> > guide for the French fleet active in Korean waters during the 1840s.
> > But his map is strictly in the Western cartographic tradition and
> > based on the western methods then current. That map has always been
> > in the Bibliotheque Nationale in Paris and only very rarely
> > displayed. It has never been shown in Korea, although Korean
> > historians who visited Paris have commented on it and published a
> > picture (which I foolishly forgot to note for myself).
> >
> >   There are a few Chinese characters on the map: the names of
> > Paektusan and the island of of Nokto ("Deer Island" 鹿島, under the
> > administration of Sunch'On in  ChOlla Province), and a coding note
> > using the character 半(반), which I cannot explain but appears next
> > to the name of several districts in PyOngan Province (which was not
> > then divided into North and South). Other than that, everything is in
> > Hangul. Perhaps the mapper thought greater dignity went to Paektusan
> > with Chinese characters, but if so, it's hard to see why Nokto should
> > have the same treatment
> >
> > At the request of the owner, I wrote an article, "A Unique Korean
> > Map" describing and analyzing the map. It was published last week on
> > the website of
> > the East Asia Institute in Seoul. The link to the article is below. At
> > the bottom of p.16 of the article there is a direct link to the map
> > itself.
> >
> > http://www.eai.or.kr/type/panelView.asp?
> > bytag=p&catcode=&code=eng_report&idx=12287&page=1
> >
> > Gari Ledyard
> >

> > Quoting Frank Hoffmann <hoffmann at koreanstudies.com>:
> >
> >> A brief note:
> >>
> >> I just put together and updated a website map tool that merges the
> >> various services from Google, Bing, Yahoo, OpenStreet, and an old
> >> Russian map--and also included the 'raw' maps for the Korean map
> >> services Daum, Naver, and Olleh. Those last ones cannot (at least not
> >> for the web, for the Desktop yes) be integrated via OpenLayers yet.

                  _   _
                 (o) (o)
      oOOO----(_)----OOOo---
Henny (Lee Hae Kang)
-----------------------------
http://www.henny-savenije.pe.kr Portal to all my sites
http://www.hendrick-hamel.henny-savenije.pe.kr
(in English) Feel free to discover Korea with Hendrick Hamel (1653-1666)
http://www.hendrick-hamel.henny-savenije.pe.kr/indexk2.htm In Korean
http://www.hendrick-hamel.henny-savenije.pe.kr/Dutch In Dutch
http://www.vos.henny-savenije.pe.kr Frits Vos
Article about Witsen and Eibokken and his first Korean-Dutch dictionary
http://www.cartography.henny-savenije.pe.kr (in
English) Korea through Western Cartographic eyes
http://www.hwasong.henny-savenije.pe.kr Hwasong the fortress in Suwon
http://www.oldKorea.henny-savenije.pe.kr Old Korea in pictures
http://www.british.henny-savenije.pe.kr A British encounter in Pusan (1797)
http://www.genealogy.henny-savenije.pe.kr/ Genealogy