[KS] Korean Map tool (online)

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreanstudies.com
Sun Jun 30 20:57:54 EDT 2013

That is a wonderful article, making use of diachronic linguistics,
general history, administrative changes in history, geography, and
writing style to describe and date a map. A pleasure to read!!!

As for the Kim Tae-gŏn main from 1845 or 1846, the place names there
seem not to have been in Han'gŭl but in Roman letters that then, in
most cases, rendered the Korean pronunciation of place names, as this
was a map prepared for Western missionaries to enter Korea. I have not
seen the original, just reprints in various Korean works, and
descriptions. (It's actually pretty popular and almost always gets a
mention when Kim Tae-gŏn is mentioned.) In 2009 a specially prepared
COPY of the original was made for an exhibition at the Jeoldusan
Catholic Martyrs Museum in Seoul (exhibit Nov. 5-22, 2009).
Also, the Tok-do Museum (독도박물관) has a copy of the copy (to no
surprise):
http://211.111.203.218//museum/image/2D/bon//bon000012-000-001.JPG
That is a really small image, unfortunately; still, all you see is in
French. In later editions you see Chinese being added--see e.g. here:
http://naming.dokdohistory.com/data/board_84/Carte%20de%20la%20coree.jpg
(Click on image to enlarge!)

Best,
Frank