[KS] two formal questions - Japanese/Korean

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreanstudies.com
Tue Apr 15 14:23:02 EDT 2014

Dear All:

These are two very minor small questions, and I hesitated posting it.
But then, where else to ask?

(a)
Is there any rule among Japanologists (in the U.S., that is, in Europe
all are anarchists anyway), for the word (name) division of Japanese
names in Kanji?
Example:
  Hidemichi Tanaka 田中英道
  Murai Osamu 村井紀
or:
  Hidemichi Tanaka 田中 英道
  Murai Osamu 村井 紀
I see both variations. Always wondered about that, never asked.

(b)
A similar formal question, this time for both Japanese and Korean:
In titles of articles or books, when I have something like this ...
 (J)  Kanji no kenkyū_ 漢字の研究
 (K)  Hanjaŭi yŏn'gu (or: Hanja ŭi yŏn'gu) 漢字의研究
... I see that more and more Korean publishers do insert a space there (
漢字의 研究) while Japanese still do not. My question (again, this is
about the rendering of the original script, not the transcription): do
we ignore however this appears in books or magazines and just insert a
space in any case, and is this done the same way for Japanese and
Korean (this is what I did so far), or are there any rules for this.
Are there any such "spacing rules" for Korean and for Japanese in Japan
and South Korea?

As I warned -- these are just minor questions. Nothing exciting.

Thanks,
Frank